[Sca-cooks] bread at war

Pixel, Queen of Cats pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Aug 9 12:26:18 PDT 2001

So, with an idea towards keeping the amount of cooler-dependent food to a
minimum, I have done a bunch of canning of stew and such.

And destruction testing of bread.

Last Wednesday on my way home from work, I bought a loaf of Catherine
Clark's Brownberry Ovens bread--oatmeal, or mixed grain, perhaps. I think
mixed grain of some kind. Green label. And I promptly put it into the back
of the truck, which is a pickup truck with a cap. And I left it there.

The truck has been sitting in the sun all day at work on weekdays
(because it has no other choice), and spent a fair amount of time in the
sun on the weekend. There is no air circulation in the cap as there are no
sliding windows to leave open. It gets awful warm in there. It's garaged
at night but the garage is always warmer than the outside air in the
morning.

We tested a slice last night. The bread is, as near as we can tell,
perfectly ok. No fuzzy growths of any variety, and it tastes just fine.

Granted, I never actually opened it until last night, but I recall that in
the past, other flavors of Brownberry bread have languished, forgotten
and hidden in the back of my fridge for months and still remained edible.

So, a loaf is probably going to war with us, although not necessarily that
one--the other potential consumer didn't appreciate the random bits of
grain in his bread.

Margaret FitzWilliam