[Sca-cooks] online glossary

Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Aug 11 06:26:06 PDT 2001

"Cindy M. Renfrow" wrote:

> I found this last night & am looking for confirmation of this story:
>
> >From The Encyclopedia of Cookery, 1948, pp. 958-9:
> "Profiterolle. In the ancient cuisine, profiterolles were nothing more than
> small balls of ordinary bread crumbs, used for garnishing potages (or thick
> soups) until 1373 when William (Guillaume) Tirel, nicknamed "Taillevent,"
> the name under which he is better known, created profiterolles, made of a
> paste forced through a pastry tube. Later on, these little puffs were made
> of all sorts of food - fish, meat, poultry, and even vegetables. [biography
> snipped]...
> It was Taillevent who created Dodine Rouge which is a mixture used for
> stuffing ducks or water fowls. It is made as follows: Toast enough bread
> slices on both sides. Soak the toast in Chambertin wine. Fry finely sliced
> onions in a little salted lard, until golden brown; season highly with
> salt, pepper, cloves, cinnamon, and addd a little duck fat. Let simmer
> until the mixture begins to thicken. Cool. Fill the cavity of the duck.
> Having some of this paste left over, Taillevent decided to make use of it.
> He forced it through a pastry bag onto a greased baking sheet, placed this
> in a[n oven]... The result was... Light, fluffy little golden
> marbles...From the small one to the large one, there was only one step. And
> today we use the pate a chouxe as the French call the paste, for almost
> anything, from fish, meat, fruit custard, and ice cream."

OOOOhh, this sounds a bit Larousse-ey to me. Not having tried the
recipe, I can't say for sure whether it would work, but I highly suspect
that this is sufficiently different from a modern pate a choux recipe as
to produce vastly different results. There's no egg, first of all, and
while both recipes call for a cooked panade, one of flour and one of
breadcrumbs (so the gluten is cooked in both cases), I seriously doubt
that you'd get anything more than a very slight puffing, as opposed to
the rather dramatic inflation you get from a modern pate a choux.

I also have to question the source of the anecdote; comparatively little
is known about Taillevent, but we have this detailed account of a
five-minute period in his life? With no mention, as far as I can tell,
of anything called profiterole in the Viandier (which he appears not to
have written anyway)?

Ya know something? I think that was the wabbit!

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com