[Sca-cooks] online glossary

Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Aug 12 07:56:40 PDT 2001

Some guy wrote:

> I also have to question the source of the anecdote; comparatively little
> is known about Taillevent, but we have this detailed account of a
> five-minute period in his life? With no mention, as far as I can tell,
> of anything called profiterole in the Viandier (which he appears not to
> have written anyway)?
>
> Ya know something? I think that was the wabbit!
>
> Adamantius

Now that I think of it, do we have any mention of baking sheets _or_ of
pastry bags in Taillevent's period? There are contemporary English
accounts of extruding stuff through horns, presumably a hollow cow's
horn whose point has been cut off, through which you force the stuff (in
the case I remember, ground raw salmon), and such horns are still used
today by the traditional-minded in France for jobs like stuffing sausage
and force-feeding geese. So, the question is, at what point would a
pastry bag have come into use anyway?

As for baking sheets, since there are recipes for later in period that
call for things that would otherwise be baked directly on the floor of
the oven, to be protected by using pieces of parchment or paper,
wouldn't that suggest that baking sheets weren't in common use in 1379 France?

Tag, Bear, you're it.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy