[Sca-cooks] online glossary

Sun Aug 12 18:56:53 PDT 2001

You're so kind.

Try Scappi's Opera (1570).  One of the odd little tools shown is an
accordion pleated tube and nozzle for shaping fritters.  The same source has
tart pans which could be used as baking sheets, but I would go with the
parchment on the floor of the oven.

This does not place such utensils in the 14th Century and I know of no
contemporary source which does, so the question of appropriate tools is
still open.

As for the pastry bags, I think you're probably right that they are modern.
For example, "The Pastry Cook," a 17th Century engraving by Abraham Bosse,
very intricate, modern-looking pastries being prepared.  There are very
modern cake pans of different shapes shown, a rolling pin, etc., but nary a
pastry bag in sight.  I don't remember seeing them in any art of a similar
age.

Bear