[Sca-cooks] pot luck (not a song!)

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Mon Aug 13 06:22:22 PDT 2001

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 09:57:11 -0400 "Sandra Kisner"
<sjk3 at admin.is.cornell.edu> writes:

>    Speaking of lime jello oddities, I have searched unsuccessfully
>for years to find the words to "Lime Jello, Marshmallow, Cottage Cheese
>Surprise."  Does anybody know them, or where I can find them?  Not that
I >could sing them properly....

     It's not a song, sadly, but I thought I'd flip through an old,
almost 100 page recipe booklet put out by the Jell-o folks sometime in
the 60's-early 70's.  I couldn't find a mixture of lime jello,
marshmallows and cottage cheese, but I *did* find:

     Beet Salad:  Lime jello, pickled beet juice, horseradish (prepared)
onion, and pickled beets.

     Cheese vegetable salad:  *Mixed Vegetable Flavour* (!!) jello,
cottage cheese, pepper and celery, and tabasco sauce.

     Marshmallow parfait:  make the jello and whip half.  Layer whipped
jello and clear, top with marshmallows.

     Instructions to make marshmallows out of jello, and the two recipes
that take the cake:

     Bleu cheese de luxe mold, uses dry white wine!!  and

     Jello marzipan:  fruit falvoured jello, coconut flakes, grated
blanched almond, and sweetened condensed milk.  The recipe advises to use
strawbeery jello for strawberries, lime to make limes ...

    And we thought our medieval forebears ate exotic foods!  Sheesh!

    Elizabeth (who never got over actually being served the bleu cheese
mold, and had her fanny worn out for remarking that it looked *Exactly*
like a greeny-white black striped lake rock she'd found earlier that
day!)