[Sca-cooks] Portagee sausage

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Aug 14 20:36:17 PDT 2001

"Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy" wrote:

> "Laura C. Minnick" wrote:
>
> > Hey- anyone besides me had portagee sausage?
> >
> > 'Lainie
>
> Do you mean chauric', or linguica? Or both? Which reminds me; I believe
> my apprentice was supposed, at some point, to lay in a supply of
> linguica for his poor, culinarily deprived (depraved?) master...

Um, er, I don't think it's the same stuff. They serve it in the school
cafeterias in Hawaii- it's round, sliced, like small bologna or thick
Canadian Bacon. Spiced a little differently though. Reall cheap, kinda
greasy. I think it is officially 'Portugeuse Sausage' but in Pidgin that
smooshes to 'portagee'.

But then we are talking about a place where a common potluck
contribution is a hotdish made of Spam, pineapple, rice, and French's
mustard...

'Lainie