[Sca-cooks] Misha's Food question was: regional potluck)

Jenn/Yana slavic at mailbag.com
Wed Aug 15 08:04:57 PDT 2001

>FOod content:Does any one know if either pierozhki (Russian meat or veggie
>filled pastries) or Chinese fried rice is period?
>
>Misha

>   Firstly, is it a pastry dough or a pasta dough?
>
>    I ask because  Pierogi are big up here in southcentral Pa, Misha, and
>they're Polish.   They are noodle pockets that are filled.  Since a
>Pierogi is usually potato-filled, that definately puts it outside of SCA
>'period'.
<snip>
>    If the two words are related, and the infintesimal amount I know
>about Eastern European languages leads me to think they might be, then I
>would be inclined to say no.
<snip>>
>    Elizabeth

On the subject of pierogies/pirozhkis, I'll just lift from one of my
previous writings to the list:

Pirozhok = Russian small (hand-held size), filled (vegetables, meats,
cheeses, combinations thereof) oval/square/triangular/etc shaped pastry
(pirozhki -plural)
Pirog  = Russian medium to large rectangular/square/oval/round pie, sweet
or savory fillings (pirogi-plural)
Pierogi = Polish word for dumpling.  Not same as Russian pirogi/pie.

Yes, the Russian and Polish words are etymologically related.  The root
"pir" in the Slavic languages means "feast."  Russian pirozhki and pirogi
can be made using yeast dough, sour cream dough, or shortcrust pastry (and
likely others), at least modernly.  Modern pirozhki are either baked or
fried (shallow or deep), but pirogi are always baked (too big to fry).  And
just to make things more confusing, the word "pirozhki" means "little
pies", even though the two foods are considered separate entities.