[Sca-cooks] pot luck

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Wed Aug 15 15:39:27 PDT 2001

At 04:13 PM 8/15/01 -0600,KarenO said something like:
> > I gotcha covered, I'll bring the mandatory Mormon Green Jello dish with
>marshmallows in it.
> > Maggie
>

>     I thought the " mandatory mormon" dish was mashed taters with grated
>cheese,  onion  {soup} mix & sour cream ??
>
>      Maybe a west coast  mormon thing(?)
>
>     Caointiarn

I don't ever remember seeing mashed taters with cool stuff in it at ward
dinners, but at EVERY ward dinner, funeral or pot luck there was always
jello, and at least one of them was green. Every Time. It had a million and
five mix ins, but it was still green jello.

A couple of years ago I went back to home (Las Vegas) for a family pot luck
so big we borrowed the chapel my sister attends to hold it. That was the
first time I saw the potato dish, and they used frozen hash browns to make
it. (That's the best use I've seen for those watery rubbery pieces of
unidentifiable and questionable if its even vegetable matter).  Maybe it
migrated from the north to the south (Idaho/Wyoming/etc), or maybe it
migrated from east to west, but it wasn't around in the 60's or 70's.

Regards,
Maggie