[Sca-cooks] dessert challenge

KarenO kareno at lewistown.net
Sun Aug 19 13:26:34 PDT 2001

> Thorbjorn's  challenge:
> > You have  to make 3 desserts to be chosen for the dessert portion of a
feast.  Two desserts will be chosen what would you make.  It has to serve
100, and be able to be made for $25 dollars a dessert to serve 100.
> > No Jello
>
>   Off the top of my head:   French biscuit bread {meringues}   Creme
Anglaise & fresh fruit,<

    Now that I have a bit more time & the 'puter is acting properly again:

    french biskit bread  from  _Elinor Fettiplace's Receipt Book_  Hilary
Spurling (1986)  {Is this book still available for purchase?}

    take one pound of almonds, blanched & grind/mix with 1 pound sugar, and
a bit of rose water.  incorporate into four egg whites

{ In real life:  l would start with 4 - 5 egg whites, and a teaspoon of rose
water.  whip into  soft peaks, add about a scant cup of sugar until stiff
peak stage is reached. fold in 6 oz (volume) of ground almonds that's been
mixed with about 2 tablespoons of flour }.

 Pipe or drop spoonfuls unto parchment papered trays  {waxed paper is NOT a
good subsitute, trust me}

 Place into a preheated oven "as hot as you doe for other biskit bread,"  {I
think a 250F oven as for meringues is the way to go}   "when they begin to
looke somewhat browne they are baked inough."   at this low temp, that means
about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs.  let cool in the oven for another hour.

Creme Boyled    from _An Ordinance of Pottage_ Constance B Heiatt.

In a sauce pan over medium heat, sweet cream, & clarified butter {2 cups
half & half, whole milk, heavy cream; some combination therof  -- butter if
using the less fatty liquids} When it boils  {when bubbles form around the
edges} have yolks of eyron drawn through a streainer into a bole and put
boylying crem thereto with a ladyl.  Styr hit well for quallying & put hit
in the pot ayen; & if need, put it back on the fire. {add} white sugar
enough.

    {before putting the cream on the stove,  whisk together  about 6 large
egg yolks with  1/2 cup sugar.    Slowly whisk about a ladleful of the hot
milk into the egg yolks & sugar.  Return the mixture to the saucepan.  Rinse
& dry the bowl, setting a fine sieve over it.  Place the sauce pan over low
heat, stir the sauce constantly.  As soon as the sauce is slightly
thickened, like very heavy cream,  remove from heat, and continue to stir
for an additional 2 minutes.   Pour into the bowl thru the sieve let
ool  -- stir to prevent a skin.}

    Serve warm or cold.  If serving cold,  allow it to cool completely
before covering.  This makes 2 cups of sauce, enough for 8 people when
served over something.
    The recipe also says to strew with ginger.
    Very good served with  fruits:  peaches, necterines, plums, cherries . .
. berries . . . .

    Caointiarn  (still thinking about the 3rd option)