[Sca-cooks] horseradish

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Aug 19 19:03:11 PDT 2001

"ankica" <ankica at sprint.ca> said:

> Horseradish is a necessity when serving any roast beef, especially Prime Rib.  It is also great with any Beef Steak.  Good on a cold Roast Beef Sandwich.
>
> Depending how hot you like your Seafood Sauce,  add an amount to your taste to ordinary ketchup.  Much better and much cheaper than commercial seafood sauce.  Especially good with Shrimp in any form as a "dip".
>
> Horseradish
>
> 1 Piece (any size) Horseradish Root
> enough White Vinegar to just barely come to below the top of the Horseradish
> 1/2 to 1 tsp. Salt
> 1/2 to 1 tsp. White Sugar

Thank you for this. This sounds very close to some of the period horseradish
sauces I've got but with more 'how-to' details.

As I'm just now rejoining the list after nearly two weeks at Pennsic, I'm
not sure if this was part of another discussion or not. Those who are
interested in horseradish recipes and more info on period use of horseradish,
might want to look through this file in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section
of the Florilegium:
horseradish-msg   (23K)  5/15/01    Period use of horseradish. Recipes.

Just before Pennsic, I bought a chunk or two of horseradish root. I'm
going to have to try making this sauce and perhaps the horseradish
'fries' mentioned by Balthazar of Blackmoor:

> Another tidbit I like to do, particularly for service
> with wine and cheese, is horseradish shoestrings.  I
> cut the horseradish into jullienne or matchstick
> strips, dip it into buttermilk, and then toss them in
> seasoned flour, and fry them in olive oil.

Stefan

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net