[Sca-cooks] Misha's Food question was: regional potluck)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Aug 19 19:22:22 PDT 2001

Bear said:
> > On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 16:00:47 EDT XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com writes:

> >     I ask because  Pierogi are big up here in southcentral
> > Pa, Misha, and
> > they're Polish.   They are noodle pockets that are filled.  Since a
> > Pierogi is usually potato-filled, that definately puts it
> > outside of SCA 'period'.
>
> Potatoes are a modern filling.  There are a number of fillings for each of
> the dishes some of which are quite appropriate for pre-17th Century.
> Pirogi, for example, seem to be a way of using up left-overs.  All three
> dishes were probably made in period (without potatoes).  The trick is
> locating the documentation, some of which may be hiding in the Florilegium
> from an earlier discussion.

I am just now returning to this list after Pennsic, so I haven't read the
early messages in this thread yet, however perhaps this will help. After
a long delay, because I couldn't figure out where to file it, I have
placed the previous info on pirogi into this file in the FOOD section of
the Florilegium:
pierogies-msg     (12K)  8/ 2/01    Stuffed dumplings/pies from Eastern Europe.

>    I don't stretch it to
> > include any New World edible, even though there's a lovely
> > bronze turkey
> > sculpture in Italy that dates to the 1570's.
>
> IIRC, there are turkey recipes in Rumpolt which Thomas Gloning has posted in
> the recent past.  There is also a fair amount of evidence that North
> American turkeys were being eaten in a number of places in Europe by the
> late 16th Century, which we have thrashed vigorously earlier this year.  Our
> limitation is in available, translated recipes.

See this file in the FOOD-MEATS section:
turkeys-msg       (45K)  5/18/01    Use of turkeys in Rennaissance Europe.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net