[Sca-cooks] coddling an egg

Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Aug 20 06:47:11 PDT 2001

Marion MacGregor wrote:

> Greetings are sent to the List,
>
> I have a mundane friend who had asked me what it means "to
> coddle an egg"  after a few side jokes (remember Iam
> married to Puck) I am stumped.  What does the term "to
> coddle an egg" truly mean and what is the importance of it
> in cooking?  BTW this is from a recipe to make a dressing
> for a salad

Coddled egg yolks appear frequently in connection with Caesar Salad
recipes. Coddling usually means a very gentle poaching, or sometimes a
very gentle cooking in a device or pan which suspends the egg over
nearly boiling water -- kinda like a double boiler with indentations in
the bottom for holding individual eggs.

Your friend can just as easily soft-boil an egg and use the yolk, to get
a similar effect, unless for some reason the recipe calls for the white,
too. Basically, the idea is that the warmed, but not fully-cooked, egg
yolk is used to emulsify the salad dressing, just as you might warm egg
yolks while beating them for something like hollandaise sauce.

HTH,

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy