[Sca-cooks] Elinor Fettiplace

Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Aug 20 19:43:58 PDT 2001

johnna holloway wrote:

> Lady Johnnae llyn Lewis again sends greetings.
>
> The Elinor Fettiplace 3 volume set that I cited
> the source for earlier today is
> "a transcription of the handwritten receipt book
> of Lady Elynor Fettiplace. This edition has been
> produced from a full and careful typed transcription
> made by John Spurling who inherited the book."
>
> There are three pamphlets in total, as the work was
> released over a number of years.
>
> Hillary Spurling's work of 1987 contained only a small
> portion of the recipes with additional commentary.

True. On the other hand, a fair amount of the material in the complete
volume is rather distantly post-period. Or so I've been led to believe;
it's not unlike the situation with Martha Washington's Boke of Cookery.

> I hope this explains the matter.
>
> Johnna Holloway
>
> "Brian L. Rygg or Laura Barbee-Rygg" wrote:
> >
> > Is the pamphlet a transcription or a copy of the original handwritten?  At
> > any rate, I'd love to have one.
> >
> The Elinor Fettiplace series is carred by Acanthus Books
> at: http://store.yahoo.com/acanthus-books/info.html.
> THE COMPLETE RECEIPT BOOK OF LADIE ELINOR FETTIPLACE
> (England 1604) A 3-volume transcription of the complete
> original text of Elinor Fettiplace’s manuscript
> recipe book. An index is included. 30.00 usd.
>  Hope this helps.

Is this from the series of Stuart Press pamphlets published as
inexpensive resources for re-enactors of various types? Those make for
fairly good resource material, although sometimes it needs to be
reiterated that the needs of, say, the Plantaganet Society, or one of
the ECW groups, are sometimes slightly different from those of the SCA.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com