[Sca-cooks] Question to the List - Sweet Turkish Crescents

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Aug 22 07:46:42 PDT 2001

Johnnae llyn Lewis sends greetings.

Anything that is "cresent shaped" from yeast cresents to
cresent cookies is always associated with Vienna and
the seige by the Turks. Also things that are turban
shaped.. turks wore turbans... This is more likely
than not foodlore and myth... and not history.

You might to take a look at Gourmet's Old Vienna Cookbook;
A Viennese Memoir by Lillian Langseth-Christensen.
Gourmet Books, 1968. It should be in larger public libraries.
It has lots of pastry and cookie type recipes.

Hope this helps.

Johnna Holloway