[Sca-cooks] period breakfasts

Pixel, Queen of Cats pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Aug 23 08:42:32 PDT 2001

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Laura C. Minnick wrote:

> "Pixel, Queen of Cats" wrote:
>
> > There are some lovely period recipes that are not, strictly speaking,
> > *breakfast* recipes per se, but they look awfully like things that we eat
> > as breakfast these days. Frumenty, oatcakes, pain perdu, a lovely fruit-
> > filled french toast-y thing from Guter Spise, sawgeat (fried eggs and
> > sausage and sage), cryspes, fritters of various kinds, fruit purees,
> > custard tarts, fruit tarts, Digby's cheesecakes (which are really nice for
> > breakfast), and cuskynoles. [Yep, had to mention cuskynoles. ;-)]
>
> WHAT!?!? You have Digby's Cheescake for breakfast?!?! Are you guys
> mutants? When I make it, By the time I turn around from putting away the
> knife I cut it with, it's GONE! If I get any at all, it is because I
> stabbed someone in the back of the hand. I cannot imagine leftovers...
>
> 'Lainie
> House-mother and Mommy to teenagers...

I have no children, and a husband who is afraid of the fridge. He can find
things in the chest freezer, but he is convinced that the contents of the
fridge will fall on him if he attempts inquiry. I've joked that if I ever
need to hide something from him I will put it in the fridge. ;-)

My love and inspiration will raid the fridge but only under very carefully
controlled conditions. He is extremely picky about cheesecake, especially
cheesecake of unknown provenance that looks like it might be that most
evil of foods, custard. Digby's cheesecake looks like it could be
darioles, and he won't go near those for love nor money.

So it's pretty safe at my house. Now, mint chocolate chip ice cream,
that's another story. ;-)

Margaret FitzWilliam