[Sca-cooks] just an introduction

welsh10thcent at tds.net welsh10thcent at tds.net
Thu Aug 23 09:00:06 PDT 2001

First off, i am new to SCA, but spent 20years studying pioneer life, and can do most anything they did, dang did they work hard, but i do enjoy the learning and doing, so i thought well i have covered life back to about 1800 so how about another adventure.  Well then came into play SCA, have always been intriqued by the fact than anyone ever survived, at all.  To study history, in school, uck, but this kind of stuff, i love it.  when i had to do reports in H.S. and College, i used to freak out teachers because i would do things like History or Quilting or Candlemaking or such.  They didnt quite know how to take it.  Well i do and have done and will continue to do a lot of things.  I am a chef by trade, even though i dont work in the industry right now, to much stress, OY.  I thru the years have found little i cant do if i want to do it, okay give birth, but then again, i dont think that would be that much fun anyway, sorry not into pain :)

anyway, sorry for the leveity, stressful week.  i spin, weave, used to raise sheep for wool, chicken for eggs, ceramics, stain glass, working on writing a cook book, cooking is a passion for me, woodwork, needlework, crochet, machine knitting, tried hand knitting but that is to nerve wracking for me :), love working on the computer, work at my friends bakery, herb garden mostly weeds right now :( but time is a factor, to many things to do and not enough interest in weeding :), Vegetable gardening, canning and freezing and dehydrating, Candlemaking, candy making, i know there is more but i cant think of everything, i want to learn how to do glass beads, cheese making, historical cooking, i know there is more i will find i want to learn.

I love learnign new things, or even old things, depending on how you look at it.  i live on an 80-acre farm, and hope to host my first event in the next couple years, at my farm, i have a wonderful set up a tilled field next to a woods, with a stream running thru it, well we will see anyway, one should always dream.  and in the next year i hope to head up my first Feast, cooking for 200 is easy it is cooking for 1 that baffles me.  i enjoy learning new things but love to share what i know and love to teach what i know as well.  I like to do things as authentic as i can, i am not one that likes to just get by but love to really do it up right.  i am not a competitive person except with myself, i am my own worst critic, i dont like to do things just half way must do it the best, or best of my ability.

I am looking forward to my SCA events and life, i look at it as a challenge, and learning adventure.  Now my persona, well it only took me 3 weeks to decide, 10th century Welsh Merchant.  i do plan on doing some merchanting at events and such, like spices, food, clothing, pewter jewelery, not sure what all, i have been toying with several ideas, but it will be things that i can make or do, mostly, since i dont just want to resell things, that is no fun, and it takes no effort, it makes it fun for me to actually make the items i carry.  anyway, like my encampment, what i want to work towards is, a 4 tent set up: merchant tent, then 3 smaller tents (bedroom, kitchen, living room) that hooks to the merchant tent, at the middle back between the three and the merchant like a square donut, has an open atrium area for a fire... it will be nice but it iwill take a while, i just see it in my head and figure i can to it but if it takes 5 years i will take 5 years, new piece each year, oh my, the money OY.  anyway, i enjoy doing things full tilt, so this will be no different.

Sorry to go on for so long but this kind of lets you know who i am and what i am like thanks for reading my intro,

Morvran ab Thomas of Cardiff
10th century Welsh Merchant
Barony of Sternfeld
Midrealm