[Sca-cooks] just an introduction

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Thu Aug 23 10:11:41 PDT 2001

Morvran ab Thomas of Cardiff introduced himself to the list and
described the wide variety of things he had done/would like to do.

Welcome to SCA-Cook's, Morvran!

You sound like the kind of individual who might be interested in
browsing through my Florilegium files. For future referance, you can
find it at: http://www.florilegium.org

Many of the discussions and most(?) of the period recipes we have
discussed here can be found in the various food sections there.

While there are some simularities between the historic re-creation
that you've done before and the SCA, the SCA is different in many
ways and has created a number of its own traditions. You might find
some of the files in the NEWCOMERS section to be worth reviewing.

You said: "i want to learn how to do glass beads, cheese making,
 historical cooking.". I don't think I've got much on actually
making glass beads (yet), but you can get some good bead referances
and info on period beads in this file in the ACCESSORIES section:
beads-msg         (43K)  5/18/00    Necklaces, beads.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ACCESS/beads-msg.html

For info on cheese and cheesemaking, check these files in the
FOOD section:
cheese-msg       (152K)  1/ 8/01    Medieval cheese. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/cheese-msg.html
Cheese-Making-art (30K)  9/29/97    "Cheese Making for the Compleat
Novice" by
                                       Lady Aoife Finn.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Cheese-Making-art.html
cheesecake-msg    (40K)  7/ 6/01    Medieval cheesecake. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/cheesecake-msg.html
cheesemaking-msg  (71K)  7/30/01    Comments and info. on cheesemaking.
Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/cheesemaking-msg.html

You also mentioned that you had taken as a persona that of a
10th century Welsh Merchant and that you wanted to merchant in the
SCA.

Perhaps these files in the CULTURES section and the COMMERCE section
might be of use:
Wales-msg         (78K) 10/31/00    Welsh culture. avail. newsletters.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Wales-msg.html
merchanting-msg   (52K) 11/27/00    Merchanting in the SCA.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMMERCE/merchanting-msg.html

THLord Stefan li Rous
(one of the verbose members on this list)
stefan at texas.net