[Sca-cooks] RE: Home from Pennsic also + upcoming feast stuff

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Fri Aug 24 05:00:47 PDT 2001

    Well, I generally recommend soaking wild hog in a mild salt / vinegar
solution overnight to get some of the gaminess out, hit it with some dry
rub, and smoke it long & slow. If it's store bought, don't bother with the
soaking, though . . . it's bland enough as is.
    If you know anyone who does custom carpentry, snag some hardwood
trimmings (walnut, cherry, etc) instead of the usual hickory or mesquite
chips, and soak 'em overnight. I just did a brisket, a pork butt, and a
turkey breast in my smoker the other day with cherrywood, and it turned out
really well. Green applewood is great, too.
    BTW, I've found that for smoking meat, chunk charcoal (rather than
briquettes) gives a MUCH better flavor. It burns a bit hotter, so you don't
add as much to start, and you have to add chunks more often, but the results
are markedly superior.

    Sieggy