[Sca-cooks] RE: Home from Pennsic also + upcoming feast stuff

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Aug 24 10:17:32 PDT 2001

Johnnae llyn Lewis sends greetings.

I have found a marinade for boar that calls for:
3 cloves garlic, 1 large yello onion, 6-7 sprigs
fresh parsley, 1/2 leomn with rind, 1/2 tangerine
with rind, 1 tablespoon each fresh rosemary, fresh
oregano, fresh thyme, and fresh cilantro, 1 cup
white wine, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup olive oil.

Combine all the marinade ingredients in a food processor
and process. Then pour marinade over the boar and allow
to marinate for 12-24 hours in a refrigerator. Remove from
marinade, pat dry and grill or roast until meat thermometer
reads 170 degrees F. Drink with a good red wine.

For a saddle of boar

Use 2 sliced onions, 2 garlic cloves, 3 sliced carrots,
6 juniper berries, 9 Tablespoons butter, 1 bottle red
wine, 1 bay leaf, salt and pepper to taste, 6 strips bacon,
1 cup brandy.

Briefly cook the onions, garlic, carrots, and juniper berries
in 3 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet until soft. Turn the
mixture into a crock. Add the meat, the wine, bay leaf and salt and
pepper. Add enough water to the marinade to allow the meat to be
covered. Marinate overnight. Remove meat and pat it dry. Then
liberally smear the meat with the butter and cover one side with
the bacon strips. Roast at 400 degrees for 15 minutes then reduce
heat to 325 degrees and roast for an additional hour (plus or minus)
until meat is tender. Baste with meat juices and leftover marinade
while roasting. Remove roast from pan and then pour off the fat from
the pan. Place roasting pan over a burner on medium or high heat
and incorporate the brown leftover meat drippings with the brandy
and a bit of the marinade to make a gravy. Lower the heat and then
thicken with arrowroot (1 tablespoon), if needed to thicken.
Also the brandy can be lit and burned off if desired.
Serve with the roast and red cabbage and applesauce or apple puree.
from- Eat Like a Wild Man. Sports Afield.
I think I'd boil up the marinade before using it for basting or adding
it to the gravy, just as a precaution.

Johnna Holloway