[Sca-cooks] Charcoal

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat Aug 25 05:14:28 PDT 2001

Gardens Illustrated for Feb. 2001 did a major
article on traditional charcoal burning. It
takes a special kiln and a forest of the right
sort of trees. But if you've got cooperative
neighbors, a couple hundred acres of woods to
deplete, and EPA permission to smoke up the air
you too can make charcoal. Large scale charcoal
production for smeltering helped to deplete the
hardwood forests of Michigan's UP faster than the
demand for lumber for housing back in the mid 19th
century.

Johnna Holloway