[Sca-cooks] Charcoal

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Aug 25 22:24:10 PDT 2001

Alban said:

> I'm surprised no-one in the SCA has yet made their own. . .
> >From what I hear, it's somewhat time-consuming but not
> technically difficult.
>
> . . .or so I'm told. . .

Correct. But if I had the hardwood for this, even chunks, it would
more likely end up in furniture or boxes or somesuch and not converted
to charcoal. I can *buy* the hardwood charcoal for less than I can
buy the hardwood.

But it might be interested to try making charcoal with pine and such
using medieval techniques, just to do it.

There are some period and modern referances on the technique for making
charcoal in the charcoal-msg file in the Florilegium, if anyone wants
to pursue this further.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net