[Sca-cooks] turkey and radial saws

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Sun Aug 26 21:17:51 PDT 2001

At 11:04 PM 8/26/01 -0500,Stefan li Rous said something like:
>Back on August 10, Maggie said:
> > Oooookay. You and me gotta hook up someday, and I'll tell you about my
> > radial arm saw and frozen turkeys.
>
>Okay, please tell. After all, with this list of cooks who jump into
>hot convection ovens, orange slugs, people who keep complete libraries
>in their car trunks and such, you've got to stand out somehow. :-)
>
>--
>THLord  Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
>Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net

It's quite easy to explain. Around Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter you
can buy turkey at dirt cheap prices.  Usually I ask the butcher to quarter
the turkey for me, and freeze it wrapped separately.

For whatever the reason, when I purchased this particular turkey, I didn't
get it quartered. I was also remarkably short on patience and temper that
day, and I didn't WANT to deal with a whole turkey. I stood there holding
this frozen 20lb+ beauty, staring at it, ... and my eyes wandered across
the garage, and LO! There was the husband's radial arm saw. Ya know,
they're not far different from the band saws that butchers use.  So ..
bzzzzzzzzt and bzzzzzzzzt ... quartered turkey (I had to wrap it in a towel
and slam it against the concrete floor to get that metal clip around the
legs to snap).

The only part that went afowl (pun intended) were the little waste bits
that got flung across the garage against the wall. I kinda forgot about
that bit, but remembered quite well a couple days later when the garage
turned into A Bad Place To Visit.

Hey, the spouse hasn't touched that saw in over 10 years. So, what the
heck? As long as I clean up my mess, who's to know?

Regards,
Maggie MacD.