[Sca-cooks] Personal Iron Chef Challenge

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Mon Aug 27 06:53:56 PDT 2001

Congratulations!  Sometimes you feel better after rescuing something like this
than after cooking a feast you had planned!

Many years ago, there was a baronial elevation scheduled for the (then) Shire of
Black Diamond.  We knew there was a problem when we got a call from a friend who
was an officer asking us to bring our aprons and knives!  Friday night, we
arrived at the baron-to-be's home and started work making a soup, a glaze for
the ham and other stuff.  Saturday morning, we discovered that the ladies who
were supposed to be cooking the feast had bailed.  Turned out they had never
cooked a feast, and their idea of planning was to look at pictures in a
magazine, decide what looked good, and that's what they were planning.  Of
course, there was nothing even remotely period.  So 4 of us had to take the
ingredients they had already bought and try to create a period feast out of it.
And, even better, they had agreed to a restriction on use of the kitchen...we
couldn't even get in until 3:00!!  We still had to locate a few
ingredients...can you imagine trying to find Brie in a small town in the
mountains of Virginia (remember, we're talking mid 1980's here....)??  We didn't
do all period stuff, but much of it was...or at least period-oid!!  And those
partaking of it pronounced it a great success!  I still remember that feast very
fondly, and probably more vividly than any other I've cooked!

Kiri