[Sca-cooks] Charcoal

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Aug 27 07:17:14 PDT 2001

I just was up in the UP near the first iron mines
in the state, (Negaunee -- Michigan Iron Industry
Museum)so that was very fresh in my memory.
Also if you go west from Marquette over to Iron
Mountain then you come to this town called Kingsford
that Henry Ford established to build parts for his
auto's and where they came up with... you guessed it
kingsford charcoal briquettes which were a way to use
the scrap materials from the other plant.

We very rarely consider fuel as an issue in medieval
cookery... but it probably was the prime factor in the
development of more efficient fireplaces and the switch
to ranges and enclosed stoves. Certainly Sir Hugh Plat
who wrote the Jewell House and Delights for Ladies was
concerned enough with the subject to publish his own
work on it.
Plat, Hugh. A new, cheape and delicate Fire of Cole-balles. 1603

Johnna Holloway