[Sca-cooks] 13th century feast

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Aug 27 08:17:22 PDT 2001

Johnnae llyn Lewis sends greetings.
If you are up to coming up with the working recipes,
take a look at the Libellus de arte coquinaria by
Hieatt and Grewe. It dates from the early 13th century.
We were discussing this new book on the list in early July.

Stefan pointed out that there are several recipes
already in a  florilegium file under "Harpestraeng", which is
one of the manuscripts being discussed by Hieatt in this new volume.
Among those should be Duke Cariadoc's  "Icelandic Chicken".
For those who would like some more background on this series of
manuscripts take a look at this file in the FOOD-BOOKS section of
the Florilegium. Stefan gave this citation on 11 July 2001.
Harpstrang-cb-msg (34K) 10/19/99    The Harpestraeng cookbook. The
oldest
                                       cookbook in the Western world.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/Harpstrang-cb-msg.html

Hope this helps.