[Sca-cooks] 13th century feast

Pixel, Queen of Cats pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Mon Aug 27 10:33:55 PDT 2001

Let's see, a suggested menu for late 13th/early 14th c. Western Europe:

On the tables (the practice may not be entirely period, but it keeps
people from eating the servers, and gives the cooks a chance to breathe
before sending out the first course):

bread
butter
honey-butter if you must
other things you feel like putting on the tables

First course:
chykens in hocchee OR chykens in gravey
the first two recipes in the Anglo-Norman mss--the pork meatballs and sage
sauce, which names I do not, at the moment, remember
caboges in potage
cressee OR macrows OR loseyns
peer in confit
erbolat

Second course:
Turk's head OR cormarye, depending on how much fuss you want
gees with sawse madame
spynoch or benes y fryed
tarte in Ymbre day
fenkel in soppes OR slete soppes
chyrsye

Third course:
roast beef with Lumbard mustard
bunny in cyvee
hebolace or perhaps a porrey of pesen
funges
[and dare I say it?] cuskynoles
darioles

Margaret FitzWilliam, who really ought to be working