[Sca-cooks] various small notes (and shoofly pie!)

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon Aug 27 12:18:08 PDT 2001

Margaret FitzWilliam answered my questions with:
> Hmmm. I didn't actually read the recipe very carefully, obviously. ;-)

I was hoping you'd just left out an ingredient in copying it.

> Keep in mind this is *not* my grandmother's recipe (which, incidentally, I
> have now found, during a rather drastic sort-and-toss session over the
> weekend. yay!). I would combine the first three ingredients, then the next
> three, and then layer them in the pie crust. That's what I remember from
> when I have made shoofly pie.

Yes, using only the ingredients listed, that is probably how I would try
to salvage things. I still wonder what that other ingredient is (was)
though.

And your grandmother's recipe is?

> And Stefan, unless you can find a sugar-free molasses, you're probably out
> of luck. Unless there is a Splenda with molasses flavor, but then you'd
> have to try it to see if you get the same consistency, which is kind of
> gelatinous but also kind of not.

Yep, figured that was the case. That was more of a mournful whine than
anything else.

I was also wondering, and forgot to mention in my first message, what it
would be like to substitute Maple Syrup for the molasses in this pie,
other than much more expensive. :-)

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net