[Sca-cooks] Pennsic Iron Chef Results

BareToad at aol.com BareToad at aol.com
Tue Aug 28 11:39:32 PDT 2001

I have to say that I am with Wrynne on this one.  Okay, so an Iron Chef-style
competition isn't period (as far as I have been able to tell), but after
having participated in one I have learned many valuable things-and tried
things that I might otherwise have been a little reluctant to try.  I learned
that making period food outdoors (despite the swarm of wasps--long story)
isn't quite as daunting as I thought.  Better yet, you _can_ make really
delicious food (and show others that it is possible as well) without being
chained to the stove for the entire day (imagine that).  Without going too
far into the "c'mon guys, we do this for fun" speech, I think that many are
intimidated by some of the arts that others do so naturally.  Food prepared
in this context I think is a little easier to relate to and, yes, fun!

Mairin

<<It's one of the things I love about the
SCA - I get to see everyone's "stuff" and look at their research and learn.
If cooking contests get people excited and interested in historical cooking,
than I am all for it, regardless of whether the contest itself is
documentable.

    Wrynne>>

For though we sleep or wake, or roam, or ride, Aye fleets the time, it will
no man abide.
- Geoffrey Chaucer