[Sca-cooks] Capers caper

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Tue Aug 28 11:49:42 PDT 2001

Nicolas Steenhout schrieb:

> > > Ohhh but the series of dishes with capers that are awesome.  Yummm!
> >
> >Like what? I've got some capers, but I've not found a lot of places
> >to use them, although the recent discussions make me wonder if they
> >might be good on pizza.
>
> Yeah, they work on pizza.
>
> They also work on pan fried fish, with a little meuniere butter (fresh
> butter in pan, heat till foamy and start to turn brown, add fresh lemon
> juice, chopped parlsey, and capers.  It has a proper name in the Repertoire
> de la Cuisine, I just am blanking on it right now.
>
> Also, goes well as a garnish for steaks.
>
> Also, included in dressings for salads.  Part of the "proper" Caesar salad,
> actually.
>
> Chopped, it's part of a "proper" steak tartar.
>
> Cauliflower (boiled and/or pan fried) makes a great side dish, garnished
> with capers.
>
> An interesting mix of flavours that doesn't sound all that good for some,
> but works amazingly well is fresh raspberries and capers together on
> roasted venison (note, not *pot* roast).
>
> Now, mind you, none of these are likely to be all that period :-)

Something else nonperiod (but good) to try is
Konigsberg pork dumplings. Basically you make
dumplings out of minced pork ('bout a pound),
soaked white bread (a handful), a chopped onion,
an egg white and some mustard, boil them in salt
water, then reduce the broth slightly (you start
with 750ml on starting and should end up with
around 500), thicken it with butter and flour and
stir in an egg yolk, 2 tblsp milk and a couple
capers, season with salt, pepper and lemon juice,
return the dumplings and let the whole thing
steep. A rich winter dish from the Baltic that I
serve with white rice, though traditionally it
goes with potatoes. A propos of nothing.

Giano