[Sca-cooks] Margaret's grandmother's shoofly pie...

Pixel, Queen of Cats pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Tue Aug 28 13:36:19 PDT 2001

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001 Druighad at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/28/01 10:30:31 AM Central Daylight Time,
> pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com writes:
>
> << 1 1/2 c King syrup + 1/2 c Bre'r Rabbit >>
> Margaret, is this some sort of molasses? I've never heard of them before. If
> they are southern US brands, would it change the texture or flavor to use
> differnt brands? Also  is the one dark or black strap or light? Help please!
>
> Finnebhir

You *would* have to ask that. ;-) Bre'r Rabbit is molasses, IIRC for the
recipe you use dark. At least that's the stuff I remember buying.

King syrup is a golden syrup available in some parts of the country (and
not this one). King Arthur Flour sells it, as does the mfr in Kentucky,
and a place online--- www.theamishcountrystore.com. I think I used a
half-and-half of dark and light Karo the last time I made it, but it was
in central NY then and I very well might have had King syrup.

Anybody know a good substitute for King syrup? They've never heard of it
here in MN and I am far too impatient to wait for an order to show up.

Margaret