[Sca-cooks] Masque Ball

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Wed Aug 29 05:18:18 PDT 2001

XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com schrieb:

> My group at our high school is thinking about doing a masque ball (we haven't
> talked it over yet with the baronial people so its thinking) and we're
> thinking about having some sort of food probably as a small buffet so people
> can dance, take a break, munch a little, and then go back to dancing. I was
> wondering what types of foods work well in this situation other than fruits,
> veggies, and dips. I would like to have a lot of finger foods there. Thanks!

A while ago a recipe for a kind of almond
pastry-roll from Al-Baghdadi redacted by two
individuals turned up onlist that went by the name
of khushjknanaj (it's probably in the Florilegium,
too). I can vouch for both the viability and
popularity of this particular finger food.

There are recipes for peanuts marinaded in bitter
orange juice in Platina and de Rontzier that I
havenm't tried yet but am itching to

If folks dance a lot you could serve marzipans
(basically the recipe from Martino's libre de arto
coquinaria, redacted in The Medieval Kitchen, but
in smaller round cookie shapes, baked slightly and
dusted with spices or served with candied fruit)

Giano