[Sca-cooks] Capers caper

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 29 09:34:44 PDT 2001

Master A and I discuss:

> >>Also excellent with ultra-fresh raw, skinless and boneless herring fillets, traditionally accompanied by the capers, chopped onion, and riced hard-boiled egg yolk sprinkled on top. Eaten with bread (real whole wheat or rye) and butter
> >>
> >>Adamantius
> >>

> > Swedish Sashimi!
> >
> >>From what plant do the buds which become capers grow?  I don't like capers much either, but it may be how they are prepared, so I'd like to try my hand at pickling them at home and see if that helps.
> >
> > Selene in Caid
>
> Possibly more Danish, but  expect it would go over well in Sweden.

Fair enough.  Forgive me for sacrificing precision in favor of alliteration.  Part of the Danish smorrebrod ensemble I take it?

> Capers come from a nasturtium relative, I believe. The plant also
> produces berries which can be pickled, while green.

Well I'll snoop around and if I get anywhere, I'll post my experiment results.

> BTW, thank you for _not_ using the word "sushi" in connection with this ;  )

But of course, there wasn't a speck of rice in the fish dish you described.  I know Japanese cuisine well enough not to make that common error.  I'm also the kind of wacko who prefers to make dashi from scratch [OK so I don't dry my own
bonito, I'm crazy but not stupid too].  I've got a batch of umeboshi steeping, but can't seem to find red shiso leaves with which to color them.  This confounds me, since this is Los Angeles where all things Japanese should be findable.
Well anyway.  The Japanese home pickling equipment in convenient, dishwasher-safe plastic will be convenient when/if I find those capers to pickle [she said, getting back onto the topic at hand].

Selene, getting pickled in Caid