[Sca-cooks] Timbale

Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Aug 29 10:04:06 PDT 2001

Michael Gunter wrote:

>> but timbale like dishes do appear
>> in the medieval Italian corpus:
>

> Great information! Thanks! I need to play with
> these recipes sometime. I'd love to do them.

I can't and won't say they don't, but it should be noted that at least modern timbale are more or less the containers they're cooked in, with a huge variety of ingredients and varying cooking methods. Some have a lining pastry, many don't, some are essentially schtuff mixed with custard and baked in a bain-marie. and most of them are fairly small, along the lines of a double shot glass. Which is not to say they could not share a common ancestry with Italian torta of various types, but then a lot of Italian tortas from period have survived, in largely unchanged form, to the present day.

Adamantius

--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com