[Sca-cooks] Mooneschadowe Guardian German Feast

Thu Aug 30 06:44:39 PDT 2001

> Bear replied to Liadan about the new site for her feast:
> > 20 qt Hobart, commercial convection oven running 25 degrees
> off, 2 standard
>
> What's a "Hobart"?

Hobart is a brand name for commercial floor and counter mixers.  They are
rugged, high horsepower units and as near as I can tell are the industry
standard as I don't recall ever seeing a commercial kitchen without one.

> > If the convection oven is running, we're in good shape.  It
> can be done with
> > one of the commercials, but it will be an all nighter.
>
> A convection oven bakes faster than a commercial oven? Why? What's the
> differance between the two? I assume this is due to a type differance
> and not just a size differance.

A convection oven has a blower which moves the heated air over the dishes in
the oven allowing a faster transfer of heat.  Because the cooking times vary
from conventional ovens, they can be tricky to use.  In this particular
instance, I want to use the convection oven because I can rack three times
the bread I can in the commercial ovens and still get relatively even
baking.  This will cut six to eight hours off the baking time for this
event.

> >  and I'll need to dig up a
> dough knife to
> > work the pastries.
>
> How does a "dough knife" vary from other knives?
>
> --
> THLord  Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra

A dough knife, also called a dough scrapper, is a rectangle of metal about 5
or 6 inches wide with one end rolled into a tube to form a grip. It is about
4 inches from blade edge to handle, the blade is about as thick as a good 8
to 10 inch chef's knife, and there is a slight bevel to the edge of the
blade for better scraping.  It is used primarily to divide dough cleanly and
lift pastries which may stick to the work table.

For this event, I'm doing a lot of Welser's Spanish pastries and this is THE
tool for the job of cutting the pastry roll and moving the individual
pastires to the pan.  Mine disappeared years ago and I've never replaced it.
Now I can use one.

Bear