[Sca-cooks] Misletoe, Holly and other poisonous Christmas plants

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Aug 30 15:43:18 PDT 2001

> I read an article in Veterinary Technician Journal (i.e, an actual
> medical industry journal, not a mass-consumption publication) last
> December about misletoe, holly and poinsettia - the three Christmas
> plants traditionally considered to be poisonous to humans and pets.  The
> article said that all will produce an upset tummy, but even for that you
> have to eat a pretty hefty amount.  It's unlikely that a child or pet
> would eat enough to cause harm, let alone the as-yet unproven death,
> because they'd vomit first.  At worst, it said, it'll teach such
> critters not to eat the greenery.

*giggle*

Ok, am I the only person who noticed the directions to call the poison
control center in case of accidental overdose on 'Gypsy Cold Care' Tea?
Considering that the 'active ingredient' is dried peppermint, which cures
nausea in normal doses in most people, and generally causes nausea when
overused... The PDR for Herbal Medicines says, "Cases of poisoning are not
recorded."

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa