[Sca-cooks] Misletoe, Holly and other poisonous Christmas plants

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Aug 30 16:15:29 PDT 2001

> Yeah, but how friggin' much does it really take to *cause* nausea?  Let
> alone death?  Is it really physically likely that any creature can eat
> that much?

You _can_ consume enough to cause nausea-- I've done it. However, since
gallbladder disorders, according to the Herbal PDR, predispose one to a
nausea reaction to peppermint, that may be related.

However, 4 g of MENTHOL, the active constituent, is supposed to be
poisonous-- but the PDR says that people have survived doses of 9 and 10
g.

(BTW, yes the PDR for Herbal medicine can be accessed by free registration
at pdr.net)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa