[Sca-cooks] New Cheese

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Aug 30 19:40:18 PDT 2001

Renaissance Girls wrote:
> Okay all, you must give me a break because I am new
> here, and I'm sure every single one of you knows this
> but I...
> What is new cheese?  Is it available today?  And, if
> not, what are acceptable substitutions?
> No "dumb" comments, please! lol

Again??? Awright, who told this lady I was dumb???

Ahem. New cheese is probably literally that, curds just far enough along
to hold together in a lump, like... you know... cheese. Very fresh,
possibly solid, cheese, such as fresh chevre or perhaps mozzarella.
Anything from Latino queso blanco, fresh mozzarella, any of those fresh
yogurt-y goat cheeses, cream cheese, etc. Curd cheeses such as ricotta
_might_ be what is referred to, but usually you can tell from a recipe's
context.

HTH,

Adamantius
--