[Sca-cooks] fortified wines

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Aug 30 19:49:07 PDT 2001

Ted Eisenstein wrote:

> Saving it in barrels has nothing to do with "removing" nasty-tasting stuff,
> if I remember; what happens is that some of the rougher stuff gets smoothed
> out by aging, and other stuff gets added from contact with the wood in
> the barrel - vanillins, I believe, and, well, other stuff.

Tannins, I would think. Especially in an oak barrel.

>  It also depends on
> whether you use new barrels, or toasted barrels (i.e., a fire was built inside
> the barrel to add a small layer of charcoal to the innards - and charcoal
> does help change the taste); or barrels used for other distillates.

I had understood that the charcoal changes the taste by absorbing some
of the more volatile esters. essentially, a form of filtration.

>  I seem to
> recall that barrels previously used for Scotch can be used for the long-term
> storage of sherry, although I could be wrong.

Perhaps, but what I'm familiar with is sherry barrels being used to age
Scotch. At this point nothing surprises me.

Adamantius--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com