[Sca-cooks] [Sca-cooks]OT-The One True Tigger

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Aug 30 19:53:01 PDT 2001

Ted Eisenstein wrote:
> . . . . on the other hand, the one line from an English-speaking
> humor-oriented author I can always remember is
> "He jumped onto his horse, and rode madly off in all four
> directions."
> (Stephen Leacock, Canadian, if memory serves. . . )
>
> (. . . I even occasionally forget the One True Wodehouse sentence:
> "If he wasn't actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.")

That is truly one Wodehouse sentence, but the One True Wodehouse
sentence is, "Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of
the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there crept a look of furtive shame, the
shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk
French."

And the best part of it all is, there _is_ no single, greatest Wodehouse
sentence. _All_ his stuff is like this.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy