[Sca-cooks] [Sca-cooks]OT-The One True Tigger

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Thu Aug 30 22:17:00 PDT 2001

>The above is from a Stephen Leacock short story called "Gertrude the
>Governess". FWIW, I believe the actual quote does not include the word
>"four".

So I've got a fallible memory. . .

Isn't that the same story that starts "It was a dark and stormy night on the
west end of London. Fortunately, our story takes place on the east coast
of Kent, where it was a warm and cheeful night", or something very close to
that?

(I have _got_ to reread him. Right after all those other books I have got to
reread.)

By the way, to haul this whole thread back into shouting distance of the
list. . . In the Bertie-and-Jeeves stories, Bertie's aunt's husband has an
excellent French chef. Some of his creations are mentioned in the stories.
Has anyone ever actually tried to come up with those creations?

Alban