[Sca-cooks] New Cheese

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Aug 30 23:30:48 PDT 2001

Estrella asked:
> Okay all, you must give me a break because I am new
> here, and I'm sure every single one of you knows this
> but I...
> What is new cheese?  Is it available today?  And, if
> not, what are acceptable substitutions?
> No "dumb" comments, please! lol

You're worried about looking dumb after seeing the questions *I've*
been asking?

Anyway, fresh or new cheese is just that, cheese which has been
freshly made. These tend to have a high moisture content and thus
will not last as long as aged cheeses. I believe cottage cheese or
farmers cheese may be the things to use for many recipes that call
for new cheese.

By pressing the new cheese to get out more of the whey, by adding salt
and doing various other things you get the harder cheeses that you
may be more used to.

This kind of cheese can also be made fairly easily. Someday I'm going
to get around to making some.

Anyway, for more details on cheese and making cheese, check these
files in the FOOD section:
cheese-msg       (152K)  1/ 8/01    Medieval cheese. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/cheese-msg.html
Cheese-Making-art (30K)  9/29/97    "Cheese Making for the Compleat
Novice" by
                                       Lady Aoife Finn.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Cheese-Making-art.html
cheesemaking-msg  (71K)  7/30/01    Comments and info. on cheesemaking. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/cheesemaking-msg.html
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net