[Sca-cooks] Re: [Sca-cooks]OT-A dark and stormy night in all directions at once

sjk3 at cornell.edu sjk3 at cornell.edu
Fri Aug 31 07:14:09 PDT 2001

> Isn't that the same story that starts "It was a dark and stormy night on the
> west end of London. Fortunately, our story takes place on the east coast
> of Kent, where it was a warm and cheeful night", or something very close to
> that?
>
> Alban

    Speaking of which, this year's winners are out (probably have been
for a while, as some look familiar) at
http://www.sjsu.edu/depts/english/2001.htm

A semi-on-topic sample:

Winner: Dark & Stormy Night Category

It was a dark and stormy night as Jacque the baker slogged through the
black cheerless alleyways of Avignon, the cold Provencal rain soaking him
to the bone, increasing his fury at having chosen the life of a
breadmaker, for the early hours truly went against his grain and it
chaffed him that he trudged to work in wee hours of the morning while the
rest of the world loafed in bed; what more proof did he need of his
misery, why did he bother, surely it was not for the dough, exasperating
as the rise and fall of the boulangerie's business might be, and suddenly
he knew with conviction that he was, after all, just a gluten for
punishment.

James Bardsley
Skillman, NJ

**