[Sca-cooks] New Cheese

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Aug 31 10:33:13 PDT 2001

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:

> > Anyway, fresh or new cheese is just that, cheese which has been
> > freshly made. These tend to have a high moisture content and thus
> > will not last as long as aged cheeses. I believe cottage cheese or
> > farmers cheese may be the things to use for many recipes that call
> > for new cheese.
>
> FYI: farmers cheese in Central PA is _not_ a soft pot cheese... which
> tends to confuse everyone. I have to start checking my usual sources for a
> place to buy 'pot cheese' which is apparently the PA name for this
> substance.

Farmer's cheese in MN (and indeed, the other parts of the Midwest I've
been in) is also a softish brick cheese, kind of like jack or brick or
muenster in texture. I was very confused the first time I found a recipe
calling for farmer's cheese that very clearly wanted something more
like ricotta.

On the subject, since I managed to miss the cheesemaking classes at
Pennsic--can I make decent cheese with pasteurized, homogenized milk, or
should I search out a source of raw milk? I was hoping to maybe play with
cheesemaking this winter, if (as per usual) I have time.

Margaret FitzWilliam