[Sca-cooks] Latin names for spices.

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sat Dec 1 08:12:54 PST 2001

So, what's _on_ these restrictive lists....I've never heard of such a
thing.....I can see trying to avoid anything potentially "woo-woo" by
avoiding the magical stuff (although, as a practicing Wiccan, I know
that there are a LOT of substances one can use for ritual AND food), and
no poisons is understandable (although some of those are "subject to
interpretation" like tansy), but nothing "medicinal?" Is that medicinal
in the modern sense? Does it take into account all the period theories
on humors, etc? And what about "cosmetic" types of things, like hand
creams, and lotions, to which one might add something to help with dry
skin, or ease a rash????
Admittedly, I'm in a different kingdom (Artemisia), but isn't this a bit
of legislating things to death?  Both Artemisia and Atenveldt have had
largely-herbal A&S Champions, and I don't recall ever seeing
restrictions like those from Midrealm....How peculiar.....
--Maire