[Sca-cooks] SWEETENED RED BEAN PASTE

Barbara Nostrand nostrand at acm.org
Sat Dec 1 12:54:10 PST 2001

Noble Cousins!

Greetings from Solveig!

>It ends up in several steamed buns, a sweet fried wonton variant, and in
>a pinch I suppose could be mixed with crushed ice for a sort of Asian
>snow-cone/slurpee.

Actually, you should use shaved ice and not crushed ice. As I recall,
shaved ice appears in the Sarashina diary and dates from at least the
Heian period in Japan.

>My own experience has been with sweet _black_ bean paste in those fried
>sesame balls, but I don't see why red couldn't be used.

You may also expect to see a variant on omochi in such confections.

If you are interested, there are who books on Japanese confectionary
out there. They are of course in Japanese. I have one that I have not
seen for a couple of years now. I hope that I will run across it
during the next couple of months.

					Your Humble Servant
					Solveig Throndardottir
					Amateur Scholar

| Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D.         | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM       |
| deMoivre Institute              | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est      |
| mailto:nostrand at acm.org         | mailto:bnostran at lynx.neu.edu      |
| Ignored domains: bestbiz.net, pop.net, hotmail.com, aibusiness.com  |
|                  vdi.net, usa.net, tpnet.pl, myremarq.com           |
|                  netscape.net, excite.com, bigfoot.com, public.com  |
|                  com.tw, eranet.net, yahoo.com, success.net         |
|                  mailcity.com, net.tw, twac.com, netcenter.com      |
|		   techie.com, msn.com				      |