[Sca-cooks] Another food myth

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 1 19:34:54 PST 2001

I was searching the web for recipes for waffres (yes, Stephan, I look in the
appropriate Flory-file), when I came across this preposterous statement:

The first waffles supposedly happened in 13th century England when a
crusader, with his coat of armor on, accidentally sat in some freshly
baked oat cakes. He ate them anyway. The knight in shiny armor and his
wife were so excited about how the butter stayed in the crevices that
every time they made oat cakes, he had to sit on them to make the
imprints. They were called "waffres", meaning flat honeycomb cakes.

It rather reminds me of Charles Lamb's story of how roast pork was
invented in China.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net