[Sca-cooks] Rice cooking methods

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 3 07:27:33 PST 2001

>I've found that the method His Grace describes works especially well
>with basmati. I've also had good results with finishing rice in a
>low-temperature oven, either in a pilaf method, or what is known as the
>Creole method, where the rice is boiled more or less like pasta for about
>ten minites, drained, and either steamed or finished, again, in covered
>pans in the oven. Obviously you'd need huge quantities of water,though.
>
>Adamantius

So how would you go about cooking a short-grain rice like arborio in
quantity?  In my experience, it can get a bit tricky cooking even small
amounts.  One minute it's nice and creamy, the next it's glue.  I'm planning
on serving a short-grain brown rice with my feast, and I'm wondering whether
to go for the risotto effect or simply bake it with stock and spices.
AFAIK, Spain does not have anything like a risotto, although they do use
short-grain rice varieties in paella.  Just trying to keep this as authentic
as possible. :-)

Vicente
It's great to be known, but it's even better to be known as strange.
-Takeshi Kaga