[Sca-cooks] RE: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #1053 - 17 msgs

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Wed Dec 5 09:32:47 PST 2001

> baked apples Margali        persimmon pudding with brandied hardsauce

What are these, and can we have the recipes please?

TIA
Finnebhir

Well, I can't claim the persimmon pudding, Rob's mother makes them for us
[she has a great persimmon bush inher yard and we benefit from the
overabundance of squishy fruit] but hard sauce is essentially butter, brandy
and confectioners sugar beaten together. You can also make it with rum or
drambuie.

Apples Margali are fairly typical baked apples - wash and core however many
apples you think you'll need, put them into the disposable foil tart tins,
pack the core holes with pignon/pignola nuts and currents of zante mixed in
equal parts to cinnamon-ed brown sugar, top with a copious amount of sweet
cream unsalted butter and bake until soft. Serve with  ultra heavy cream
very lightly sweetened and with a couple of drops of rosewater and just
barely beaten to just before soft peak forms. Basically, beat until
thickened but not recognizable as whipped crea. Best when served hot right
from the oven but tolerable nuked. I like to use '20 oz' apples but any good
non-mealy large tart apple is good. I would like to try winesaps one of
these days but I never seem to think of it when I see them in the store.

I have made the apples margali by wrapping them in puff pastry and serving
the cream on the side, but I like htem plain without any fancy treatment ;-)
argali