[Sca-cooks] RE: substitute for blood

Weems, Lora Lora.Weems at ssa.gov
Thu Dec 6 09:14:57 PST 2001

on 12/6/01, Lucrezia wrote:

Interesting substitute. Is this specific to this recipe, or would you
recommend it as a blood substitute for others also? I'm always looking for a
good alternate for those times I can't get blood - which tends to be most of
the time as my supermarket doesn't carry it <insert grossed-out look from
counter boy when asked> and I can only get to the butcher's on weekends (a
time which is generally fully booked).

Ciao
Lucrezia

You can use blood sausages (Blutwurst) as a blood substitute,
although sometimes those are just as hard to come by.

And what about the blood that comes >with< liver? you know,
in the plastic cups of chicken liver, or the containers of
pork/lamb/calf liver at the grocery store?

Or should you use species-specific blood, f'rinstance beef blood
for beef recipes?

Leofwynn