[Sca-cooks] period traditions

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon Dec 10 15:14:58 PST 2001

Anne commented:
> It all definitely has the feel of something that grew, and in several
> places,  rather than something that people sat down and designed. I assume
> that was the case? *G* Of course, that is also perfectly period. Many
> customs sort of sprang up here and there, and then people tried to make
> them make sense!

Yep. A few of these unusual traditions are discussed in this file:
p-customs-msg     (21K) 12/21/93    Unusual period customs.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/LIFE-STEPS/p-customs-msg.html

Some of these traditions such as "droit de seigneur" where the lord
got first dibs with the serf's bride on the wedding night are sometimes
difficult for modern folks to understand or at least they wonder why
it was allowed.

Some such as dowry insurance make a certain amount of practical
sense.

Stefan li Rous